Wednesday, January 13, 2010

To-Do

So its officially been a new decade for 13 days.
I have owned my VERY FIRST CAR EVER for 6 days.
And I've been back at school in Steubenville for 4.

Good to at least have the numbers straightened out.

Owning a car is sort of crazy. On the responsibility scale it falls closer to having a pet than a baby, but I still feel like I've spent my first days back in school being dragged around by my ever expanding to-do list. I'm staring at my STILL not unpacked suitcase, duffel bag and extra box sitting on my floor, (sorry good looking roommate #2.)

Know what I did today? I went through and offloaded almost SIX THOUSAND photographs from my poor groaning laptop onto a removable hard drive. They dated back to the tail end of 2007 and ended with the loss of my camera this winter. They covered a lot of ground.
It's hard for me to do something like that and not get caught up. There's no businesslike way for me to sift through perfectly reproduced images of the poignant moments in my life throughout the past 2 years.

I guess that this was a pretty good time for me to do it though.

In the past three years I've moved around like someone was chasing me. In a lot of ways I think I felt chased, and was desperate to put some space (ANY space) between myself and experiences at school in San Diego. There's a sense of "permanence" about me being in this school that leaves me feeling threatened sometimes. It could be just the opposite- that all the radical change finally caught up to me last semester and caused my brain to go into rebellion over the thought of starting over AGAIN.

But watching myself (in photos) go from Arkansas to San Diego, to Pasadena, to Arkansas again, to St. Louis and now to Ohio gave me a real sense of "where I've been" for lack of a more subtle phrase. There are a lot of great things and people in my past right now that I'd be happy to define myself by if the need came to take a snapshot of Me- the package deal- heading into 2010.

In less introspective public soul searching news I picked up my OLD, less snazzy, literally held together by rubber bands camera while home over break.

So the photos will be back on, and hopefully not TOO much shabbier. :)

3 comments:

  1. WHAT?!! Emma owns a CAR??
    Do elaborate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the CAR!!
    I can't wait to see what great pictures you take with that good ol' rubber band camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girl did you check your happy award?

    http://guiltyofgossip.blogspot.com/2010/01/yay-happy-award.html

    ReplyDelete